WinView’s Patents are Foundational to Interactive Television Engagement
WinView has received 66 patents with 3,341 claims plus 20 pending patents that fully cover the methods, systems, and devices that match the flow of information to and from the viewer’s second screen related to the specific program they are currently watching. The WinView patents are therefore foundational to potential monetization flowing from real-time, two-way second-screen interaction.
Interactive Second Screen and Sports Gaming Portfolio
WinView’s issued or “allowed” patents cover but are not limited to the following:
1. The synchronization of a second-screen with a live televised sports event for purposes of playing a game of skill or a game of chance (called In-Play or In-Game betting) an existing $12 billion business just on mobile devices today outside the U.S.
8,149,530; 8,717,701; 8,837,072; 8,705,195; 8,817,408; 8,837,072; 8,817,408; 9,457,272; 9,258,601; 8,780,482; 8,737,004; 8,638,517; 9,662,576; 9,662,577; 9,672,692; 9,687,738; 9,687,739; 9,707,482; 9,724,603; 9,878,243; 9,901,820; 9,919,210; 9,993,730; 9,999,834; 10,195,526; 10,279,253; 16/228,583[NOA]
2. The synchronization of the second screen with a pre-recorded television program (i.e. all non-live programming) for any purpose. Second screen synchronization is presently being done by every broadcast, satellite, and major cable network. This includes companion “tell me more” information, polls, games, i.e. anything related to the telecast:
8,717,701; 8,699,168; 8,705,195; 8,659,848; 8,737,004; 9,604,140; 9,744,453
3. The synchronization of the second screen with TV commercials for any purpose such as targeting a companion video, providing more information, the awarding of points or prizes, coupons, asking questions, generating leads, etc. In Europe this synchronized mobile and television advertising segment has scaled to $1 billion in its first year.
8,149,530; 8,717,701; 8,699,168; 8,705,195; 8,659,848; 8,737,0048,659,848; 8,780,482
The patents cover 2 and 3 above when automatic content recognition (ACR) is utilized when watching a taped telecast on a DVR.
8,717,701; 8,699,168; 8,659,848; 8,705,195;
4. All of the above are covered when ACR is utilized by a “smart TV” including the use of the TV screen itself or a Wi-Fi connected second screen. Last year there were three million Smart TV sets sold with ACR capability, projected at 48 million ACR enabled smart TV’s in three years. (Parks Associates)
8,717,701; 8,699,168; 8,659,848
During games of skill or contests, joining friends through any means such as Facebook, Twitter, ad hoc groups, existing fantasy leagues, etc., into separate contests based on the score achieved in common legal games of skill played with televised sports.
8,002,618; 8,622,798; 9,501,904; 9,498,724; 9,314,701; 9,314,686; 9,233,293; 9,067,143; 9,056,251; 9,652,937
The entry of a score achieved in a game of skill based on a common event (such as a televised sport – a quarter long contest or a prescribed number of football games) in separate prize pools where the entry fees are dispersed to each pool winner. This is legal in at least 36 states covering 80% of the U.S. population where games based “predominately on skill” are legal.
8,002,618; 8,622,798; 9,233,293; 9,314,701; 9,919,221; 9,978,217.
5. The format described above to any game of skill played on a mobile device, computer or game console. Example Deer Hunter, Candy Crush, word, dice, and trivia games or any casual game where the participants play the identical game at the same time.
6. Participation in a game of skill or chance is able to occur at a live event, and lockouts are able to be triggered by a person attending the live event.
10,052,557; 10,150,031; 10,363,483
7. The geographic location of a mobile device is able to help ensure local laws are followed.
According to Frank N. Magid Associates (May 2014), 8% of the U.S. population currently is generating $2.5 billion in skill games, concluding this market will grow by more than 40% year over year reaching $9 billion by 2017.
Social Multi-Game Mobile App
8. Asset management, multi-game and geographical customizable menus allow efficient operation of mobile device applications.
8,738,694; 9,270,789; 9,511,287
9. Social chat within the application includes using data message short codes to submit messages within an application.
8,813,112; 8,935,715; 9,205,339
 “Second Screen” includes any internet connected device such as smart phones, tablets, smart TVs, and web connected DVR’s, all specifically covered by the patents.